Although doctors frequently advise couples to wait before getting pregnant again after a miscarriage, there isn't strong evidence that waiting is medically necessary for most people -- and some couples go ahead and try again right away without waiting. If you have had a pregnancy immediately after a miscarriage, please share your story.
Pregnancy after miscarriage
- I had no idea I was pregnant with my 1st child until december 9, 2005 when I had my 1st miscarriage. I was between 2 to 3 months pregnant and to my surprise I got pregnant again a month later with no problems during my pregnancy, and on oct.14th 2006 my son was born happy and healthy.
- I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks naturally and conceived my daughter 4 weeks after that. I had a very successful pregnancy with no complications with her. She was born at 40 weeks. She is now 2 years and 4 months.
- —Guest iman
- When I was almost 8 weeks pregnant I began to miscarry on December 3, 2009. It was painful beyond words, especially since my sweet husband and I had been undergoing fertility treatments. We were prepared to try again but had planned on waiting until February to resume our visits to the fertility clinic. Due to the fact that we thought we were infertile we took no precautions to prevent pregnancy. Imagine our surprise when on January 7, 2010 we learned we were pregnant again, with no cycle between the pregnancies and without any fertility treatments! I am now 22 weeks pregnant with a little girl and everything is progressing beautifully. I do recall how scared I was when I learned I was pregnant the second time and I pray that my story will be an encouragement and a source of hope for others.
- —Guest Delighted Mom
Trying not to lose hope
- I am 35 and had a miscarriage 3 days ago, at 11 weeks, 6 days. It was extremely painful, physically and emotionally, and a complete shock as I had been sick etc...and reasurred by friends and midwife that all signs indicated a strong pregnancy. We had only been trying 2 months and I believe that I got pregnant the first month but had a very early miscarriage that presented as a late period (only a few days late). I was worried that this possible miscarriage might lead to complications in this pregnancy due to my body not being ready etc...and I wonder how much this was a factor. I am very lucky to have a wonderful and very supportive partner, who has been perfect at helping me to cope. We have not yet discussed in any detail when we will start tryng again but I am keen to start within a couple of months although I am worried that this might happen again. I have always worried that my age would be a barrier to having a baby and was amazed when I became pregnant almost immediately.
- —Guest Myna
- My name is Sam. Just after new year 2010 I all of a sudden became sick and part of me knew I was pregnant but something was wrong. I did take a test on the 2nd January which was negative. That day I started spotting and became incresingly worried. On the 5th I went to the doctors and he was going to send me for an hourly bleed scan, whilst in the waiting room a doubled in pain at which point the baby had gone. I was only around 6-7 weeks. The doctor did confirm and advised me to wait 1 full cycle. Well today around 6 weeks after the m/c I decided to take a test, we had being trying. To our amazement and happiness it confirmed that we are 5-6 weeks. I am scared if things go the same way but trying to think positive. I have had around 3-4 muscariages in total but I also have two wonderful and beautiful girls. Even after so many m/c it doesn't get any easier but all I can say to all is that there is hope at the end of the tunnel. Keep smiling and most of all stay positive.
- —Guest Sam
- I am so glad I found this site. I just had a D&C done this week. I was 11.5 weeks. I was and still am somewhat devastated. I want to try again as soon as possible, but am fearful about not being able to. Reading everyone's stories gives me so much hope. Hopefully I will be able to post my own happy story soon.
- —Guest anxious and hopeful
Pregnant right after D&C
- I am responding to "Success Story." I had a D&C on 12/11 and now have a positive test on 1/13 and am very worried. They did tell us to wait but we were not as careful as we should have been. They have already started checking my hCG Levels again. I hope so much that I have a success story like yours. Congrats on your baby girl. I already have 2 beautiful children, no complications with their pregnancies. I hope we have the third baby that I so dream of.
- I had a miscarriage, got pregnant two weeks later, had a second miscarriage, got pregnant two weeks after that, and then had a third miscarriage. I am done trying for quite a few months now.
- —Guest unhappy guest
- I had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago and I really want to have another baby. I can't decide between waiting till I get a period or start trying right away. It took 10 months of trying to conceive the baby I lost at 11 wks.
- —Guest Jed
After a miacarriage
- I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks pregnant. When I went for my follow up visit 3 wks later I had a positive pregnancy test and now I am 2 months pregnant and they say that everything looks very fine.
- —Guest total25
preg after miscarriage success
- I had a miscarriage years ago at just 6 weeks & when I returned for a follow-up appointment with my dr, they were very confused/worried by a "spot" on my uterus. During a follow-up ultrasound, we came to find out that the "spot" was my beautiful, now 13 year old daughter. She was born healthy & perfect & I didn't experience ANY ill effects beyond a normal pregnancy with her.
- —Guest Momma2KnD
- My doctor said there was no particular need to wait (but did say not to get discouraged if I didn't get pregnant quickly.) We decided to wait at least one cycle, because I actually just wanted a break from worrying, but I think her saying it would be ok was in the back of our heads, because we weren't quite as careful as we should have been, and I got an unexpected + test 4 weeks after the d+c. The pregnancy went perfectly and I got my beautiful baby girl.
- —Guest happy guest