Sometimes, it’s hard to think of the right words to say. If you’ve ever looked for a greeting card, you know that sometimes, the right words are already out there.
If you’re looking for a special quote to sum up your feelings after a pregnancy loss, you’ll find a collection below.
Whether you’re looking for a simple verse to include on a death announcement, or an idea to jumpstart your next journal entry, a quote may be just the right thing. You might even find some words you want to be part of a personalized memorial for your baby, like an engraved bracelet or even a tattoo!
Quotes from Famous Names
- And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light that shines on me. Shine until tomorrow, let it be.
- The Beatles
- Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there. It doesn't matter what you do, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away.
- Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
- We can’t know why the lily has so brief a time to bloom in the warmth of sunlight’s kiss upon its face before it folds into its fragrance and bids the world good night to rest its beauty in a gentler place. But we can know that nothing that is loved is ever lost and no one who has touched a heart can really pass away because some beauty lingers on in each memory of which they’ve been a part.
- Ellen Brenneman
- Out of these ashes, beauty will rise.
- Steven Curtis Chapman
- I held you every second of your life.
-Stephanie Paige Cole
- You are the bread and the knife,
the crystal goblet and the wine.
You are the dew on the morning grass
and the burning wheel of the sun.
You are the white apron of the baker,
and the marsh birds suddenly in flight.
- Billy Collins
- I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart) I am never without it.
- e.e. cummings
- (sleep, wake, hope, and then)
- e. e. cummings
- The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean.
– Isak Dinesen
- If I had lost a leg, I would tell them, instead of a boy, no one would ever ask me if I was ‘over’ it. They would ask me how I was doing learning to walk without my leg. I was learning to walk and to breath and to live without Wade. And what I was learning is that it was never going to be the life I had before.
- Elizabeth Edwards
- We each love someone, even though they will die. And we keep loving them, even when they are not there to love anymore.
- Anne Enright
- Breathe. Listen for my footfall in your heart. I am not gone but merely walk within you.
- Nicholas Evans
- How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint you footsteps have left upon our hearts.
- Dorothy Ferguson
- But love is born in life, and death cannot end it.
- Mette Ivie Harrison
- The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched, but are felt in the heart.
- Helen Keller
- A miscarriage is a natural and common event. All told, probably more women have lost a child from this world than haven't. Most don't mention it, and they go on from day to day as if it hadn't happened, so people imagine a woman in this situation never really knew or loved what she had.
But ask her sometime: how old would your child be now? And she'll know.
- Barbara Kingsolver
- No single thing abides; but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings - the things thus grow
Until we know and name them. By degrees
They melt, and are no more the things we know.
- It’s a happy life, but someone is missing. It’s a happy life, and someone is missing.
- Elizabeth McCracken
- Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.
- A.A. Milne
- If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, put me in your heart, I’ll stay there forever.
- I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always, as long as I’m living my baby you’ll be.
– Robert N. Munsch
- Once in a young lifetime one should be allowed to have as much sweetness as one can possibly want and hold.
― Judith Olney
- Undo it, take it back, make every day the previous one until I am returned to the day before the one that made you gone. Or set me on an airplane travelling west, crossing the dateline again and again, losing this day, then that, until the day of loss is still ahead, and you are here, instead of sorrow.
- Nessa Rapaport
- As you danced in the light with joy, love lifted you. As you brushed against this world so gently, you lifted us.
- TC Ring
- In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night . . . You--only you--will have stars that can laugh!
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.
– Edna St. Vincent Millay
- I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing
Just prayed to a God that I don't believe in
They say bad things happen for a reason
But no wise word's gonna stop the bleeding
'Cause when a heart breaks, no it don't breakeven
I'm falling to pieces; I'm falling to pieces.
- The Script
- A person’s a person, no matter how small.
- Dr Seuss
- End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path…one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it. White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
- J.R.R. Tolkein
- that though the radiance which once shine so bright
be forever taken from my sight
thou nothing can restore the hour
of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower
i will grieve not but find strength in what remains behind
- William Wordsworth
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted
- So it is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost
- For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- ...you are precious in my sight, and honored, and I love you
- Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.
1 Corinthians 13:7-8
- I am going to send an angel in front of you, to guard you on the way and to bring you to the place that I have prepared.
- Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.
- He will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more.
- A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me, because I go to the Father.
- For love is as strong as death.
Song of Solomon 8:6
Quotes from Unknown Sources
- If love alone could have saved you, you never would have died.
- If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.
- Love knows not it’s own depth until the time of separation.
- Some people believe in angels. I held one in my arms.
- No one can know how much I love you, because you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.
- Angel, you were born to fly!
- Because someone we love is in heaven, we feel heaven in our home.
- How very quietly you tiptoed into our world, silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footprints have left upon our hearts.
- This is on account of my loving you forever.
- An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth.
Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth."
- If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.
- There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
- A moment in our arms...a lifetime in our hearts
- Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap and tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap and tell them about me?
- Loved with a love beyond telling,
Missed with a grief beyond all tears
- Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
- Sometimes love is for a moment.
Sometimes love is for a lifetime.
Sometimes a moment is a lifetime.